STREETS OF WAUPACA
Researched by some members of World History class of 1960-61 Seniors
Linda Heath, typist
WAUPACA CITY STREETS
(Copied from list in Post Office)
Badger High Riverside Drive
Bailey Hill Royalton
Balch Holbeck Scott
Bartlett Jefferson School
Berlin Junction Seventh
Browne Lake Sessions
Center Larson Shearer
Clark Main Simcox
Columbia Maple Sixth
Churchill Mill State
Deer Miller Smith
Demarest Morton Tenth
Division Ninth Tioga
Eighth North Townsend
Elm Oak Union
Evans Oborn Van
Fifth Oman Ware
Franklin Park Avenue Washington
Fulton Pine Water
Granite Pleasant Waupaca
Harriet Randall Wells
Harrison Redfield Western Avenue
Hibbard River Wisconsin
By Fred Bailey
Legend has it that Bailey Street was so named to perpetuate the memory of the sturdy pioneers who braved the perils of the wild wilderness and carved out a home where no white man had ever insulted an Indian or made corn squeezings.
The sturdy pioneers, above referred to, just happened by a happy coincidence, to be named BAILEY. It is to the everlasting glory of the State of Wisconsin and the city of Waupaca, that Bailey dropped anchor here, you must remember that the Model T had not made its appearance, so he came by river boat, many years past and the city of Waupaca spring into existence, it grew, it had nothing to lose by growing and much to gain. It got streets. Some people wanted to call Bailey Street Dysentery Boulevard, others were strong for Lady Finger Avenue. Finally they decided to call it Bailey Street.
The street was really named after By Bailey.
By Judy Huebner
In the early pioneering days when Waupaca was a very small community, the Bartlett family settled here. They settled in the region of the present day site of Bartlett Street. They resided there and the street was named for them. C.L. Bartlett was active as a Village officer, he was a trustee.
E.L. Browne (BROWNE STREET)
By Mary Gary Roberts
E.L. Browne was born at Granville, Washington County, N.Y., June 27, 1830. He worked on his father's farm and attended school until he was fifteen years of age, when he moved with his father to Wis-consin, settling on a farm in Milwaukee County. After the first year there Mr. Browne spent much of his time for three years at the select school of Amasa Buck, Milwaukee. Commencing to read law at nineteen years of age, he was admitted to the bar at Fond du Lac in 1851, practicing first at Dubuque, Iowa, and afterwards spending a year in Milwaukee. In November, 1852, he settled in Waupaca. He was state senator from this district for two terms, in 1861-62 and in 1867-68. Though a new member in 1861, he took an active part in all matters in which this was interested pertaining to the war, no man in the senate showing more patriotic enthusiasm in that regard. He was on the judiciary committee during the four sessions being its chairman in 1868. He was defeated for Congress in 1862, because 3,000 Republicans from his district were in the army. He was a delegate to the Republican National Convention in 1868. Mr. Browne was a Royal Arch Mason, and has been Master of Waupaca Lodge No. 123, F., and A.M. IN the campaign of 1888, Mr. Browne was a candidate for the congressional nomination in the Ninth District. He received the support of the county delegation, but was defeated in the convention.
This little street connects South Main and Washington Streets. It was named for E.L. Browne, the street was supposed to go clear through to High Street, but it was never completed. There are no homes facing the street, but it is right next to the Tom Browne residence. The E.L. Browne home stood on the lot which is now the Atkinson land on South Main. E.L. Browne was a Congressman in Wisconsin for many years.
He was born in Fulton County, N.Y., December 24, 1846. In 1852 his parents came to Wisconsin and settled on a farm in the town of Waupaca, three miles east of this city. Here he received a common school education, and in 1865 and 1866 attended the first Waupaca High School. He afterwards taught district schools in this county for three years. In 1868 he attended the Eastman Business College, Chicago. In the fall of 1869 he was elected clerk of the circuit court for Waupaca County, and was re-elected five times – holding that office twelve years – and being deputy clerk of the court for two years after the expiration of his last term as principal. He was deputy county clerk for six years; deputy register of deeds for six years; and deputy county treasurer for four years. In 1874, while clerk for the circuit court, he commenced work on an abstract of title of all lands in Waupaca County. In 1879 he added real estate and loaning to his business; and was admitted to the bar in the spring of 1882. By the closest application, and strict integrity in his relations with men, Mr. Churchill built up an extensive business, the special features of which were real estate and loaning; and, in connection with these, the practice of law so far as it pertains to real estate and collections. In the summer of 1886 he built the handsome office block on Union Street. Aside from the official service noted, he was clerk of the town of Waupaca for four years, city clerk for four years; and for ten years was a member of the board of education. He was president of that board for a time. He was one of the incorporators of the
By Marge Boutwell and LuAnne Robbins
Demarest Street in Waupaca was named after Edson L. Demarest, a Civil War veteran, who owned all the land from Berlin Street to the Weyauwega Road. All the land extending east, north, and south from a block north of Demarest Street, and as far south as the bridge on Berlin Street was his.
Mr. Demarest came to Waupaca from Lima, Ohio in the late 1800's. In 1905, he was a rural mail carrier on Route 5 near the Crystal River. Edson and his father John J. Demarest also operated a furniture store, and drove the hearse for burial. The barn where he kept his horses for his mail carrier's job, his six or seven cows, and his other small livestock is still standing at 786 Berlin Street. The Demarest is located at that address also. Most of the land along Demarest Street was used for raising strawberries. The Demarest family was considered to be sort of Aristocrats, and because of their ownership of this land, when the city decided to put a street here, they naturally called it Demarest. The Street was originally named Demarest Avenue, but they decided that Avenue was too fancy; and so it is Demarest Street today. Most of the land that the Demarest family owned has been sold. The Riverside Memorial Hospital is located on some of it. The new Methodist Church will also be located on part of it.
Sources: Mrs. Lear, Waupaca
Mr. Nichol, Waupaca
Mrs. Fredrick, Neenah
Mr. Hanson, Waupaca
THE FOOT BRIDGE
By Marilyn Sherman
On October 31, 1874, Christian Johnson, T.M. Paine, and H. Nordvi presented a motion to build a foot bridge across the Waupaca River near the Foundry. These three men were appointed as a committee to examine and report the cost of such a project.
The village board met on November 6, 1874, and by motion appropriated the sum of $25 to build the bridge across near Division Street. It was to be four feet wide with a strong railing. Today there is still a foot bridge at the same site. There was a Poll Tax in 1874, but there was an exemption for the people too poor to pay.
By Jerry Murphy
Franklin Street was one of the earlier streets in Waupaca and was named after the famed Ben Franklin of the early days of the American colonies. People who came to Waupaca in the eighteen hundreds were for the most part from the East and so they wished to give some form of respect to their hero, so they named a street after him. In the eighteen seventies, Franklin received its sidewalks and so the street is now a respectful street in all sense of the word and has been since. It is a fitting memorial to a great American.
By Joyce Pope
This street was so named because of the massive pieces of granite on it and it also leads out towards the Granite Quarry which is four miles north of the city on the line of the Waupaca Green Bay R.R. The value of this granite was not discovered until 1885 and a quarry was opened in the fall of 1886.
In color, durability and beauty, the granite from here is considered the finest in Wisconsin and in some respects cannot be duplicated anywhere in the world. The colors are red, green, pink and gray, more or less mixed with black.
Large blocks of this granite were used in the construction of the Omaha Bee Building in Nebraska some were used in the gateway leading into Lakewood Cemetery and the Gateway Chapel, both of which are in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Large drills are used in order to break the granite loose and with the aid of derricks the stone is lifted out. It is cut into stone slabs by a stonecutter or by hand. To get the gloss the granite is rubbed with felt.
One of the pleasing features of columns built out of this granite is that not two faces have exactly the same details of texture or color.
By Todd Fonstad
In July of 1848 a party, consisting of W.B. and Joseph Hibbard and E.C. Sessions, started northward from Plymouth, Wisconsin. Moving along the east shore of Lake Winnebago, they crossed the Wolf River at or above Mukwa and through wanderings stumbled upon the future site of Waupaca. They settled here because of the beauty of the area and available waterpower.
The two Hibbards were active in early government, thus their name was used as the name of a street in the third ward. W.B. Hibbard was the city clerk from 1859 to 1862. He also owned an office where the early officials met. Joseph Hibbard was a village trustee in 1859 and in 1870 was elected Village Marshall.
Mary Hibbard, daughter of Joseph Hibbard, born at Waupaca May 25, 1850, was the first white child born in the county.
References: History of Waupaca County by J. Wakefield in 1890. Printed by D.L. Stinchfield.
Book of Corporation, Ordinances and Proceedings. A ledger at the city hall.
HIGH STREET AND BALLARD STREET
By Nancy Woodliff and Kathy Caldwell
High Street was named for its elevation over the other streets of Waupaca, but it is not the highest street in this city as Mt. Tom is the highest elevation. We obtained this information from Vance High.
The street which is now Ballard Street was once named North Elm Street. It was named Ballard Street in 1953. The street is believed to be named after Frank Ballard. Mr. Ballard was a horse peddler who settled near the railroad because the horses he bought came from the West. He sold the horses downtown near the spot of Dr. Salan's office today. He was born in 1865 and died in 1937 at the age of 72. The house he lived in is still standing.
Another possibility for naming the street is after Orville Ballard, a son of Frank Ballard. Orville died in World War I, and was the first casualty form Waupaca in World War I. This is the reason why it is believed to be named after him.
We obtained our information about Frank Ballard from his grandson Clinton Ballard. The information about Orville Ballard was obtained from Mrs. Rob Holly, and the date of naming Ballard Street from Mrs. Lee Fuhrman, a daughter of Frank Ballard.
By Earl Carlson, Jr.
Larson Street could have been named for many Larson's, who were prominent at the time. The first one may have been Ole Larson.
Ole Larson was born in Denmark in 1826. He came to America in 1856 and made his first home in Pine Lake in Waukesha County. After two years of wandering through various parts of Wisconsin and Michigan, Ole settled in Waupaca in November, 1859. He worked as a shoemaker until 1871, then as a partner in a grocery business for a year, farmed for two years, and bought a grocery business of his own in 1886. (Illustrated Waupaca, Stinchfield; page 51)
Chris Larson had a tailor shop on the ridge north of the City Hall in the 1890's or earlier. The building was used by the Riverside Hotel's office and was later purchased by the city. (Waupaca Post; October 31, 1940)
A picture of the U.S. District Attorney, William J. Campbell. Included in the picture was his wife and his mother, Mrs. Christina (Larson) Campbell, the eldest daughter of the Larson's, early resident of Waupaca. (Oshkosh Daily Northwestern; October 23, 1940)
I have read the first sixty-four pages of Book Number One, Corporation Ordinances and Proceedings of Waupaca and have found a few interesting facts about our early village.
The first ordinance was against he cluttering of the streets by parked peddlers' wagons and such. The eighth ordinance dealt with the building of a wooden sidewalk. The materials, measurements, height of the supporting rails, and how the boards were to be joined were specifically stated. These two ordinances show the importance of good streets and sidewalks to a growing town.
Almost a year was spent on deciding if a fence should be built around the Courthouse Square and the City Cemetery. The height of it and color it was to be painted was also discussed. A man was paid one dollar a week to ring a bell at certain hours of the day. The city paid another man a dollar for each grave that he dug in the city cemetery for people who were unable to pay for this service.
Felix Oborn came to Waupaca in 1894 on November 22. He was floor manager at the New Danes' Home Building.
R.N. Roberts and S.J. Oborn ran the Crescent Roller Mills. R.N. Roberts, the senior partner of this firm, being briefly sketched in another piece, it remains to note, in connection with the Crescent Roller Mills, a few of the incidents in the business life of S.J. Oborn, who is in immediate management of the enterprise. He was born at Ulysses, Schuyler County, New York, February 14, 1849.
By Mary Peterson
Redfield Street was named after a family of Redfields. They were early settlers in Waupaca. The provided quite a few men for the Civil and World Wars. They lived on a farm in Lind. There's still a Redfield living on the farm.
A good example of a Redfield who served in the Civil War is Captain Josiah B. Redfield. He resigned from his post as the Eighth Regiment Infantry. Captain Josiah B. Redfield commanded the Eighth Regiment Infantry.
It may be that Redfield Street was named after Captain Josiah Redfield, but it is believed that it was named after the early family rather than just one.
By Linda Heath
Winfield Scott, Real Estate and Abstract of Title, is a son of the old pioneers of "49", David Scott. He was born at Attica, New York, in 1833. In early life Mr. Scott was in partnership with his father in an extensive milling and merchandise business at Attica. The destruction of property by fire in 1847 caused him to come West three years later. Locating first at Appleton, Wisconsin, he was in the employ of Reeder Smith for five years, during which time he became secretary of the Winnebago Lake and Fox River Plant Road Company. He was the first telegraph operator at Appleton. He came to this place and engaged in his present business in 1856, and has met with continued prosperity, being one of the heaviest property holders in the city. In 1859 and 1860 he was clerk of the Circuit Court and deputy county treasurer. In 1861 he was elected clerk of the court, and was re-elected in 1863. Winfield Scott was the first Justice of the Peace in the first ward. By appointment and election Mr. Scott has filled, as principal or deputy, nearly all the county offices in a strong Republican county, in spite of the fact that he is a sturdy Democrat, and in all these positions. He was elected county judge in 1872, serving four years.
The first member of the State legislature from Waupaca was David Scott, who successfully contested a seat in the assembly with John B. Jacobs, of Menominee in 1854. The first post office was established in 1851, with Captain David Scott as the first post master. The mail route was from Green Bay to Plover, O.E. Druetzer was the carrier. At war outbreak he started the drug business; was stricken with paralysis in 1862 and went to New York for treatment. He died in 1864 and was buried in Attica.
By Nancy Woodliff
J.B. Simcock was born on October 22, 1833 in Staffordshire, England. His family lived in the town of Dayton, Kenosha and Chicago.
In 1857, J.B. started a hardware business in Saxeville, Wisconsin. In 1858 he brought is business to Waupaca and set it up on Main Street. J.B. was also a first assistant engineer in the Waupaca Fire Department.
J.B.'s father, Samuel, helped him in his business. Samuel was a noted minister in the city of Waupaca. Also, his brother, William, bought into the partnership of the hardware business, and in 1867 William A. West bought into it too.
J.B. was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was the Sabbath School Superinten-dent Trustee Steward, a Village Trustee, and a member of the School Board. His father was a farmer.
William was the school board chairman, also the Board of Trustees. Each of the Simcocks were active in the community and the Methodist Church besides being businessmen.
Taken from History of North Wisconsin and also Mrs. Rob Holly.
By Kathy Reetz
Stewart Street is so called because of the Stewart Tractor Company which was organized in that part of town.
The Stewart Tractor Company was located by Seventh, Eighth, and Ninth Streets as well as the present Stewart Street. This company came to Waupaca after 1875. The company built one tractor and folded.
By Tom Tishacek
Tioga River: Small river in North Pennsylvania and South New York, which unites near Corning with the Cohoston River to form the Chemung River. Length, about 20 miles.
Athens: Borough in North East Pennsylvania in Bradford County, at the confluence of the Chemung and Susquehanna Rivers near the New York boarder. Manufacturers of silk textiles, machine tools, and iron; railroad shops. Settled in 1778, it occupies the site of the former Indian town of Tioga, population in 1950, 4,430.
Reference: The New Century Cyclopedia of Names. Clarence L. Barnhart- Edited by. Volumes 1 & 2.
Tioga: A county in South New York. 518 square miles. County Seat is Owego. A county in central North Pennsylvania; 1,180 square miles. County Seat is Wellsboro.
References: New "Standard" Dictionary of the English Language.
By Connie Marotz
In the fall of 1849, Samuel F. Ware came to the new settlement of Waupaca, from Erie, Pa. The following spring, his family came from Erie to join him and make a new home in the wilderness. He was engaged in farming and real estate speculation. He served as county Judge for six years and was the first Justice of the Peace of Waupaca.
In character of Judge Ware were the combined elements of integrity, kindliness, and good sense. He was 54 at his death in 1868. He was thrown from a speeding wagon and died two weeks later.
His son – John M. Ware – owned the homestead of his father and was elected chairman of the Town Board and county Treasurer. He also edited the book, "A Standard History of Waupaca County."
The first thing Samuel F. Ware did was build a log cabin for his family. The first home was on what is now Royalton Street at the intersection with Churchill Street. The land, on which he had filed a pre-emption claim, ran back down to the Waupaca River.
During those first years the settlers suffered many hardships. They had little meat and no flour. Though they had butter and milk luxuries were very scarce.